Monday, June 17, 2013

Love......

This is definitely one of those topics which has been explored time and again by different people in astonishingly different ways. Speaking about it requires no prior knowledge, information or degree; even a layman would be able to aptly give a discourse on it and probably better than some very learned persons. Each one of us at diverse phases of life, has experienced this heavenly feeling in one form or the other giving and receiving it, basking in the warmth which the sensation provides.

When I speak of love it is not merely about the love of a man and a woman, not just the physical love or even only the spiritual, platonic love; but much more. I would incorporate in it the love parents have for their child and vice versa, the love siblings have for each other, the love we share with the rest of our family, the love for our friends, and not to leave aside the love for other animate and inanimate object. Each one of us caters a varying notion about it depending on the object towards which the sentiment has been directed; it can be transient, ephemeral or it might be eternal and undying.

Thinking of love, perhaps the first thought that creeps up to me is my parents…my mother to be precise but dad follows soon enough. It has been a raging battle within my mind for years as to whom amongst the two I love more and although I believe that mum holds an edge over dad, I have never been able to say this with conviction. There occur instances which make me feel that this diagnosis of mine is erroneous and yet I would love to stick to it for the time being until an instrument to measure the depths of love is discovered and brought to the market. In spite of this close fight which ensues between the two in my mind almost constantly, what would undoubtedly be more pleasant to them that were placed equally and yet I can’t seem to rid myself of a little favoritism towards one or the other.

Next in line and not very far behind is my brother, who since his childhood has been a constant companion and ally. With my father being in a transferable job, he was perhaps the only one who I could call my closest friend and till date he retains this position. He knows almost all my secrets (nothing dark in the closet, but still) and the best part about it being that he lets them remain one. I for one undertook the role of being the elder sibling quite seriously, helping him, fighting for him (and also with him), bullying away people who irritated him at school (and also bullying him). And as crazy as it sounds, I hate that he’s grown up...and that I can’t exert the same control over him that I once had. We have our share of fights, and rather frequently so, and still he remains as close to my heart as he was years ago, when his sister (i.e. I) meant more or less the entire world to him.

Then there would be my friends, who I don’t really regret saying are quite few in number. There are people who like to remain in the midst of the buzz and I on the other hand prefer to be a social pariah more often than not. This self imposed seclusion does not mean that I’m cut-off with the things going around me, but simply that I rather choose to be a bystander than being an active participant in them. I do speak to all who approach me, but they are more of acquaintances than anything else…….friends I’d say are limited and valuable. Come what may, I would never betray them for anything…for I cherish them too much to lose them. Among friends I would also count the various books which have been there for me through thick and thin, in highs and lows. My feelings for them can be summed up in a line by quoting the Namesake “That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.” And true to this belief, books have helped me understand things, made me see the world without speaking a word and without me having to lift a feet.

And while we are on the topic of love, how can that one guy be left behind who slowly becomes the epicenter of all thoughts and actions; that special someone who gives you a reason to change yourself for him, who stands by you until the very end and beyond; he who becomes a cause of inquisitiveness for your friends and acquaintances, and thus somewhat a distress to you and yet you are unable to let go of him. Evidently I am no authority to speak on this particular topic, as I’m yet to find the person in question, and despite that I feel a surge of emotions towards that unknown individual who would share the better part of life with me. It would definitely not always be a bed of roses, but again (as it has done countless times previously with the aforementioned relations), there would be that everlasting sentiment to help sail through….there always is.

No comments: